List of my favourite movies

  • American History X
  • King Kong
  • Kingdom of Heaven
  • Passion of the Christ
  • The Terminal
  • Operation: Daybreak
  • The Great Escape
  • Mackenna's Gold
  • Blood Diamond
  • K-Pax
  • Hotel Rwanda
  • Lion King
  • Independence Day
  • I am Sam
  • Mystic River
  • Troy
  • Black Hawk Down
  • Gladiator
  • Star Wars Series

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Its sometimes an advantage being the son of a doctor. However its mostly scary.
As a kid, I've had the privilege of attending MANY a doctors conference (nowadays, I do my best to avoid them). Most of the ones that I attend are "family" events, though I may have attended a couple of doctors workshops or conferences as a volunteer. In this case, I was forced to sit through the entire "I would NOT recommend surgery, however there is a new drug called Phenobarbiton.. which .. blah blah"

The scary thing is. Doctors are your friendly medical aide in the mornings. At Night Time, they change into WILD PARTY ANIMALS! No kidding. I'm serious. They all get drunk on whisky and cheap scotch during such conferences, and EVERYTHING is a mess. A Conference is a good conference when there's whisky. Its worth remembering.

Its pretty scary though. You realise that you've put your life in the hands of this lot! Oh My god! What have I done. I mean.. do you really want a drunk person cracking really bad jokes performing delicate surgery on you (I agree, they're not drunk when they perform surgery, hopefully, but there is that side to them!)?

Cracking bad jokes is a must for doctors. They think its really funny. I have so far had the privelege to meet 2 geniuinely funny doctors. The rest crack jokes almost as bad as mine. Ever heard of the Ophthalmologist who asked his guests if they wanted "glasses".

Next time you go to a doctor, keep your wits about you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, nice post. Good to see more frequent updates :)
The blog has had a makeover I see. I like :D

Keshav said...

thankee.. i think this be softer on ye olde eyes.

Anonymous said...

I think doctors are engaged in what used to be called "gallows humor." So much of what they do is so deadly serious, and the consequences so potentially devastating for the patient and the patient's loved ones. Yet the doctor is just a person who can never know enough, be well trained enough, or do enough to help a lot of their patients.

Despite remarkable advances in surgery and pharmaceuticals, we are still stumbling around in the dark in medicine. When a doctor prescribes a drug, they are playing a statistical game. If the patient is in the right percentage, they're cured. Or, at least, not hurt. Wrong percentage, they may die. Even wronger percentage, the prescription may be what killed them.

So when you never know if what you are doing, despite the best available information, is going to help or kill your patient, you have to develop a casual, cavalier, bad sense of humor.

Apparently a lot of them develop drinking problems too. As well as drug addictions.

It's a rough career field. I'm disabled, so I have a lot of reasons to be pissed off at doctors. I've seen them at their best and at their worst. Some have made me worse. Some have been negligent. Some have gone way past the extra mile.

But I really believe that most of them are doing the best they can with the resources available to them

small.town.gal said...

err... hi?

Keshav said...

hello. dont be timid!

small.town.gal said...

LOSER...